Week 1

Tackling Coding Bat challenges has been a real journey for me, and I've definitely refined my approach along the way. My first step is always to really understand the problem. I don't just skim; I read the description several times and then spend a good chunk of time analyzing the examples. Walking through them manually helps me solidify exactly what's expected.

Once I feel like I grasp the core idea, I move on to planning. When it comes to implementing the code, I take an incremental approach. I'll get the basic logic working first, then gradually layer in the solutions for those trickier edge cases. I also make a conscious effort to use clear, descriptive variable names.

For testing and debugging, I rely heavily on print statements. If my code fails a test, I'll flood it with print statements to see the values of variables at different points and trace the execution. This, combined with carefully reading Coding Bat's error messages, usually points me right to the problem. I've found that just guessing at fixes is a waste of time.

What really worked for me was patience and methodical thinking. Breaking down problems, even simple ones, into smaller steps and actively looking for edge cases improved my success rate dramatically. What absolutely did not work was skipping the planning stage and just trying to brute-force a solution. That usually led to more time debugging than if I'd just planned it out from the start.

The number of tries it took varied wildly. For the really simple challenges, it might have been one or two attempts. For the medium ones, maybe three to five tries, often due to small off-by-one errors or minor logic slips. But for the toughest problems, it could easily take five or more attempts, sometimes even forcing me to scrap my initial approach and start fresh with a completely different idea. It's a great way to learn to be persistent!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4

Week 2